January is National Hot Tea Month
Tea has been around for thousands of years and is the second most consumed beverage in the world. Tea began as a medicinal remedy to help fortify and heal the body to fight off infections. According to International Tea Committee Statistics the United States is the third largest tea importer in the world. Russia is first and Pakistan second. National Hot Tea Day is celebrated on January 12th.
What can hot tea do for you?
- Drinking hot tea on a regular basis can keep your brain in tip-top shape.
- Studies have shown that due to the presence of the compounds L-theanine and caffeine, consuming tea produces cognitive benefits, such as mental clarity and attention control.
- Tea can counteract tiredness during the mid-day slump and improve your work performance.
- Tea supports cardiovascular health.
- Black tea can reduce blood pressure and hypertension in certain individuals.
- Green tea can help reduce the risk of certain types of cancers.
New Year Resolutions always include the promise to eat better, exercise, and live a healthier lifestyle. Adding tea to your health resolution is easy and inexpensive.
- Tea can help in the battle of the bulge and increase your immunity to colds and flu.
- Tea promotes weight loss because it can increase the amount of energy spent by the body. The theory is that green tea because of its high catechin content has thermogenic properties that can promote fat oxidation. Therefore, tea can boost your metabolism to help you burn fat.
- Tea helps you look and feel better. Drinking three cups of black tea produces 5 x's the amount of germ-fighting cells to fight viral infections.
The best way to get the benefits from Tea is in loose-leaf form. Most tea bags are just fannings and dust left behind during the manufacturing process. While they are convenient, loose-leaf tea is just as easy and a healthier option. All you need to make loose-leaf tea is an infuser basket. Steep times can be 2-5 minutes which is about the same amount of time a tea bag needs to steep.
Celebrate National Hot Tea Month with your favorite cup of tea, share your tea knowledge with friends, or host an intimate Afternoon Tea Party.
Enjoy your time with tea!